Wednesday 3 March 2010

Sweet sixteen ?!

Last night arrived and we had our dinner party, a 16th for Tom & ?? for my Mum, whose birthday is on Saturday & we are hopefully going to the Ashmolean with her History of Art group, so it was the nearest evening for both of them to be together.
Having to cater for different tastes can prove tricky in our household but I think I balanced the menu pretty well.

A mezze style platter

spinach & ricotta pastries, houmous, sour cream & chive dips, continentals meats
lemon sorbet
cornfed chicken breast wrapped in pancetta, stuffed with bacon & herbs in a tarragon cream sauce, fondant potatoes & steamed vegetables

lemon sorbet (Tom liked it so much he had double)

dessert plate


raspberry & vanilla baked ricotta cheesecake, mini French meringues, raspberry mousse,
toffee ice cream, raspberries

Tom being a typical lad didn't mention the table, food, presentation etc, but Mum and Michael thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

This possibly maybe the last birthday meal that we have altogether as Tom is off for his interview for Sparsholt College next Wednesday, and I assume that once he is there we won't see him for dust!!!!

I had hoped that he would want to do something with his diving as he gained his qualifications at a young age and has done many dives not usually managed by his age group. I would have liked him to travel the World but he has decided upon Gamekeeping & Land management, who knows what or where he will end up?!
My personal present to him was a Union flag that I bought from Sue http://www.dairyhouseantiques.co.uk/, that I have had framed. Unusual?! I think that he can take it where he goes and it is a symbol of being proud to be who he is. I am sure that if he doesn't appreciate it now, he will in years to come.
That was yesterday, this morning I find that my teenangel has run our phone bill upto £220!
I have been busy today trying to source a picture to advertise our new vintage fair - it's really hard to find something to encompass allsorts! oh well back to it I suppose.
Hello to my new followers and thanks for your comments............

T

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely spread ! I am sitting here with my mouth watering. The desserts look truly scrummy.
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want that dinner! All my favourite things. What a lovely celebration for your teenangel and Mum. I wish I still had a teenangel but they have long flown the nest. And that flag - what a great present for him. I bought our boy a special picture when he was a uni - a photograph of the earth from the moon titled, "The Home Planet". Several years on he still loves it and interestingly is now going out with a Californian girl studying for a doctorate in astronomy. You gotta love'em.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great night and I loev that tablecloth! Looking forward to catching up on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your meal sounds delicious and was beautifully presented. I'm pleased that you all had a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a menu from masterchef & looks delicious!

    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, food fit for a queen, mouth watering delights, beats the pizza I am going to have for my tea tonight.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete